The Master Programs in Economic Informatics and Cybernetics
The duration of the second extends over two years. Admission to the second cycle is made based on the marks obtained in the previous cycle for non-financed studies and based on a written test for financed (from the budget) studies. After having attended the 2nd cycle, the students have to write the dissertation thesis and to present it. Thus the graduates obtain the master degree with different specialization in Economic Informatics.
There are seven master programs managed by the Economic Informatics Department staff. There are as follows: one scientific master (Economic Informatics) and five complementary master programs (Computerized Project Management, Databases – Support for Business, E-Business, Informatics Security, SIMPRE and Business Analysis and Enterprise Performance Management).
Research Master Program – Economic Informatics
The mission of the Economic Informatics Master Program is to provide advanced training to graduate students so that they become specialists with high qualification in informatics applied to economics. To achieve this, the master program aims to assure the students’:
- high knowledge of economic informatics and technical skills, communication and team work abilities compatible with those transmitted in European universities
- ability to work in an intercultural and international environment, in decision-making structures at medium and higher level
- involvement in scientific research programs and participate in communication sessions and symposiums, in order to fulfill, organize and apply the knowledge acquired.
In addition, there is a focus on the integration of Economic Informatics Master in European Higher Education Area and in European Research Area.
In order to achieve its objectives the Economic Informatics Master Program uses teaching activity, the scientific research and the continuous education. The objectives are:
- strengthening knowledge, skills and performance of the first cycle graduated in economic informatics
- the development of scientific research capacities for master students through their involvement in research programs
- the development of effective relationships with national and international institutions;
- increase the capacity of interpersonal communication and working in a multinational working environment
- certifying students competence through a recognized master’s degree at the international level and to meet international market requirements of work.
Trained specialists are able to conceive, design, code, test, implement and develop systems and software in various fields in accordance with the ICT requirements.
- The master program is coordinated by the Department director.
- Web address: http://ie.ase.ro
Research Master Program - Cybernetics and Quantitative Economics
In a world that is constantly changing, stakeholders’ requirements are getting more and more diversified, adding increasingly higher pressures on companies and public institutions; customers, suppliers, employees, shareholders, business partners and the community expect to enjoy quality goods and services at fair prices, reduced time for delivery and payments, excellent after-sales service, attractive employee benefits, high returns on investment and social responsibility. Therefore, the success of organizations depends more than ever on how they manage to optimize their business processes and make decisions. The knowledge acquired within this master program will facilitate the analysis of complex organization problems and improve decision-making processes in industry, business and the public sector.
The program aims at forming professionals that have an in-depth understanding of concrete issues related to the quantitative side approach to decision-making. Upon completion of their studies, they will be able to formulate and manage the necessary interventions to resolve problematic situations using methods and techniques that are specific to the systemic approach and employing several relevant software products, while demonstrating a profound knowledge of economic and managerial aspects existing in different types of economic systems.
The Master’s program is addressed to graduates from economic universities but also to engineers and computer science professionals working in organizations and enterprises, banks, stock exchanges, distribution networks, governmental institutions, and others interested in business analysis, strategic planning, complex problem solving, complex decision-making project management, data mining, logistics, supply chain management, etc.
The main goals of the master program are:
- to form specialists with increased performances in terms of the new knowledge based economy, in which economic models of production, logistics, sales and consumption are becoming more integrated;
- to provide graduates a portfolio of newer conceptual and especially applicative tools and techniques, enabling them to make rational decisions on the development of economic processes, through the use of advanced information technologies;
- to form highly qualified specialists for various areas of activity:
- system/business/ logistics analysts;
- economists specialized in economic analysis, forecast, credit risk analysis, insurance, stock exchange analysis;
- specialists in optimal management of enterprises’ resources;
- data miners;
- specialists in providing necessary data for business models;
- economic and financial consultants, etc.
The range of topics addressed within the master program include: mathematical optimization, intelligent agents optimization, multidimensional data analysis, stochastic modeling, advanced microeconomics and macroeconomics, game theory and negotiation, business logistics, the total integrated/extended/intelligent enterprise, enterprise resources planning (ERP) solutions, supply chain management, business intelligence, project management, E-business, economic modeling and simulation methods and techniques, neural computation and economic modeling, economic dynamics, special methods of operational research.
Because we want to be close to the realities of the labor market, the courses and seminars delivered by professors are enhanced by case studies presentations made by our guest speakers coming from the business environment. Therefore, the Enterprise Cybernetics and Business Logistics courses will benefit from the presence of leaders coming from companies such as: Microsoft, TotalSoft, Novensys that will present different case studies and software solutions for Business Intelligence, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Project Management, SharePoint, ERP and WMS.
The Master program is organized along four semesters and its completion is conditioned upon the presentation of a dissertation thesis. The thesis focuses on the detailed analysis of a particular aspect referring to the design and management of an organization or business, on business process optimization, or on carrying out analyses and forecasts based on micro and macroeconomic modeling.
The program is coordinated by Professor Virginia Maracine, PhD., and the staff is composed of experienced professors working for the Economic Informatics and Cybernetics Department.
- The master program is coordinated by Professor Virginia Maracine, PhD.
- Web address: http://cib.ase.ro
Computerized Project Management Master
The Computerized Project Management master course was developed in the context of the Romanian economy, where the complex economic projects at regional, sectorial and national level are increasingly present. The vastness and the interdisciplinary character of knowledge needed to manage these projects make this kind of education a must.
The Academy of Economic Studies, C.S.E.I. Faculty, which organized this master course, can provide a solid base for education in the Project Management field, through the possibility to integrate knowledge and take into account the efficiency criteria for resource usage, offering an important opening for professional reconversion of highly skilled personnel in various fields of economic and social activity. Moreover, the actual practice demonstrates that the management of complex projects needs applying information technologies in order to provide efficient resource management, communication between remote stakeholders and continuous adaptations to the dynamics of project work.
Faculty of Cybernetics, Statistics and Economic Informatics is maintaining permanent contacts with European universities and other institutions specialized in training project managers. In the context of this collaboration, the Romanian didactic staff was involved in international PM courses, the study of higher education curricula in this field, literature and other didactic materials.
The Master Studies in Project Management is addressed to the specialists which work in or manage project teams, and has a highly applicative orientation at a high academic level, providing permanent interactivity in the education process.
- Director: Prof. Constanţa Nicoleta BODEA, PhD
- Web address: http://www.mip.pm.org.ro
Databases – Support for Business
The master program Databases – Support for Business was established in 2004, taking it as director Professor Ion Lungu, PhD. Between 2006-2010 also functioned the online form of the master program.
The aim of master program Databases – Support for Business is to train and develop specialists with high qualifications for IT activities specific for working with databases in economy.
The objectives of the master program concerns:
- acquiring advanced knowledge in economic informatics and analytical skills, communication and teamwork, compatibles with those provided in European universities;
- developing the ability to work in an international and multicultural working environment, in medium and higher level decision structures;
- involving in research programs and participating in communication sessions and symposia, to complete, systematize and apply the acquired knowledge;
- presenting case studies and informatics applications with databases applied for business support;
- developing effective partnership relations with national and international companies through discussions and exchange of ideas with economics and computer science specialists invited to the course modules;
- providing opportunities for practical work with different software products that implement the latest computer technologies used for business automation.
The master program Databases – Support for Business is accredited ARACIS-2007. The objectives of the master program are similar with European studies programs in higher education, and its educational structure plan is compatible with the curricula of universities from the European Union.
The skills acquired by graduates:
- use of methods and techniques for analysis, design and implementation of advanced databases and also organize and process large volumes of data;
- manage databases and integrate various informatics technologies within database applications;
- develop information systems for management, with support for advanced databases;
- be able to make decisions in the context of the current economy using specific informatics systems with databases support;
- develop complex research projects using theoretical and practical knowledge in informatics systems with database support.
Professional qualifications obtained: analyst, programmer, systems designer, computer science consultant, database administrator.
Courses are conducted in the Oracle Excellence Center within the Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies. Teachers and invited specialists have great experience in teaching and research.
The master program provides theoretical and practical training to master students in key areas of IT industry, such as: Data Warehouses, Business Intelligence (Oracle, IBM, SAS), Data Mining, OLAP technologies, Database Management and Database Security, Web technologies, Java, Database Systems, Spatial Databases, Multimedia Databases, Information Systems Integration (E-Business Suite, SAP), Technologies for Data Transformation and Integration, Information Society.
Master students benefit from a series of Oracle courses online, free of charge, in the main database technologies, which lead to the possibility of obtaining vouchers of 40% discount for the Oracle certification and examination.
The cooperation with Oracle Romania and its network of partners, and the involvement in international projects, lead to the participation of master students in paid internship programs, their engaging in projects and access to jobs in the database field.
- Director of the master program: Professor Ion LUNGU, PhD
- Website: http://bdsa.ase.ro
- E-mail: email@example.com
The E-Business master programme aims to provide a comprehensive technical education to economic informatics and computer science graduates in the field of business application architecture and development. This approach is tied to the actual needs of the labour market, with the goal of providing the students with career-critical skills in the IT industry.
This goal is achieved through a tiered approach, designed to aid the student both in understanding the basic theoretical and technological approaches involved in building modern e-business applications. Stemming from the need for highly trained specialists in the enterprise applications development field, the programme also focuses on the life-cycle and tools used in the development of high-value applications.
The programme is constructed around the goal of teaching the students how to build actual practical architectures based on Java/J2EE technologies with an increased focus on designing, implementing and testing SOA or cloud-computing business applications.
A number of foundational subjects are also included in order to provide the students with the necessary tools they need in order to understand enterprise application concepts. The program benefits from the hands-on support brought by software specialists from companies as IBM, Webmedia, Tremend, Qualitance or Axway.
- Director: Prof. Razvan ZOTA PhD
- Scientific Secretary: Radu CONSTANTINESCU PhD, Andrei TOMA PhD
- Web address: http://www.ebusiness.ase.ro
IT&C Security Master
ISM is a technical computer science master program for the bachelor students from the IT&C field. The master has been started in 2005 and from 2010 the lectures and seminars and laboratories are in English. ISM has been certified by ARACIS in 2008 and it has 4 semesters, 120 credit points. The mission of ISM is to share theoretical and practical knowledge from IT&C Security field among the developers, administrators, project managers and users of the electronic devices eco-system. One of the most important goal is to obtain performance inside I18N. The main target of the ‘I18N-internationalization’ for ISM is to have competent students from the world wide and to provide students & professors mobility. The curriculum is oriented in some directions such as: Crypto & Advanced Programming, Networking & Internet-Cloud, Mobile Computing, Smart cards, Embedded Systems and Audit. There are invited well known professors from universities such as: Military Technical Academy Bucharest, Politehnica University Bucharest, Babes Bolyai Cluj-Napoca University and Timisoara West University.
The “Informatics Security Handbook 2nd Edition”, 663 pages, Bucharest 2009, ISBN 9789735948405 by Ion IVAN and Cristian TOMA – is the synthesis of the master program’s topics.
- Director: Assoc. Prof. Cristian TOMA, PhD
- Web address: http://ism.ase.ro
This Master program is specialized in Computer-based Information Systems for economic processes and resources management answers today’s need for training specialists capable of using informatics techniques for leadership of economic processes who are now on the verge of penetrating all companies whether small, medium or large.
For reaching the desired objective, it is used a gradually and balanced approach of both theory and practice, combining them in a harmonious way. Thus, the curriculum is designed to insure a theoretical foundation for the variety of practical problems. Proportionally three quarters are informatics classes and the rest are economic and social ones.
The advantages of this master program are:
- Offers a high level of international knowledge
- Stressing practical aspects based on solid theory
- State of the art technology. Our workgroup owns an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) laboratory built with private financing as well as SAP and NAVISION licenses.
- The involvement of high professional and intellectual status
- High quality teaching materials
- Professional English language knowledge
The subjects are chosen so that they converge towards fulfilling the objective of training people capable of leading or at least involved in informatics economic processes. Courses included:
- Company level integrated Informatics Systems
- Business intelligence
- Knowledge management
- Data bases as support for ERP systems
- ERP specific languages (ABAP).
- Multidimensional data analysis. Hyper cubes.
- Knowledge management in virtual companies
- Multidimensional informational systems realization
- ERP financials, logistics and corporate financial management
- Informatics administration of financial activities
This masters program in AES targets those who wish to learn the most modern technologies on which the European and global informatics world is based. The course is aligned with the European standards and has duration of 3 semesters.
- Director: Assoc. Prof. Razvan BOLOGA, PhD
- Web: http://www.simpre.ase.ro
Business Analysis and Enterprise Performance Management Master
Business Analysis and Enterprise Performance Management is a new master program, starting with the university year 2013-2014, being accredited by ARACIS in 2013. The program enjoys the support of the IIBA Chapter Romania.
The program takes two years, including a practice period of 3 weeks in the second year of study. Usually, disciplines are organized in modules, and each module is followed by an exam.
The aim of the master program is to give graduates extensive knowledge and skills in advanced analytics, computer-based data mining, database and datacenter management, financial analysis, predictive modeling, quantitative reasoning, web analytics and a host of other areas of competencies. Their instruction focuses on both conceptual and practical applications, challenging master students with concrete problem solving in enterprises and specific industries.
The master program combines business and enterprise study with instruction in advanced computational intelligence and data analysis. Students learn to identify patterns and trends in data, interpret and gain insight from vast quantities of structured and unstructured data and communicate their findings in practical, useful terms.
The curriculum provides a broader perspective, teaching the skills necessary to be highly effective in solving real-world business challenges.
Coursework covers everything from business modeling, business metadata, statistical analysis and data mining, to project management, business logistics and business intelligence.
The types of jobs available to graduates of the Business Analysis and Enterprise Performance Management master program include, among others: Business analyst, Bank and Financial Analyst, Business Modeling Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Analyst, Data Analyst, Business and Management Consultant.
- Director: Prof. Emil SCARLAT, PhD
- Web: http://www.analiza‐afacerilor.ro